Date: 3rd August 2014 at 4:42pm
Written by:

Manager Mark Yates wasn’t a particularly happy man following our showing yesterday in the three nil defeat to Kidderminster Harriers.

Speaking to the Official Site following the disappointing showing the gaffer explained that we did try something in the first half, but clearly it wasn’t working for us.

‘There is a lot for me to learn and mostly not very good stuff but we have a tough week ahead with plenty of work. I thought they wanted it more than us in the first half to be honest. They are a decent team and some of our defending and desire wasn’t there. We got found out.’

Yates goes on to say that really the game and the first half in particular raise more questions than answers and he states ‘we can’t go to Bury on the back of that’ saying for an hour he was very happy with the Bristol City game and he thought the system we were working on was coming together, but what disappoints him is it isn’t about formations it’s about ‘players wanting it’ and they didn’t want it enough in his eyes.

‘Pre season has been really good but today has been a bit of a kick in the teeth for us all and none more so than me as I live ten minutes down the road.’

The gaffer goes on to say that hopefully we can arrange another outing on Monday or more likely Tuesday because pre season is about game time and working on things, and after that showing clearly we have things to work on because he’s expecting the Bury game to be very difficult as he expects them to be up there challenging for automatic promotion this season.

‘We’ve got to dust ourselves down because we haven’t lost any points so at least we have a week now to prepare for Bury.’


Lewis (Singh 83), Hodgkiss, Gowling, Dunkley, Nicholson, Byrne, Gittings (Grimes 89), Obeng (Hales 55), Blissett (Styche 65), Reid (Gash 65), Storer (Green 77).


Carson, Vaughan, Brown, Elliott (Deaman 83), Richards (Arthur 66), Harrison, Gornell (Dale 87), Hall (Hanks 65), Black (Braham-Barrett 46), Sterling-James (Howarth 65).

Subs not used:


Referee: Marvyn Amphlett.

Att: 815 (93).